Home SF+ Fantasy Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 – Excellent news, the...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 – Excellent news, the film will NOT be in 3D (initially)

SHARE
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I - Not in 3D
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I - Not in 3D, We thought we help Warners out and have got our graffiti artist to correct the poster - very nice! Poster © 2010 Warner
225278id1g_HP7_27x40_1Sheet.indd
The film poster © 2010 Warners

Well I suppose some people might not be happy about this but I must say I whole heartedly approve.


3D is fun if it is done well. When it is done badly and the story is not that original it is – Clash of the Titans, sorry – a bad idea. Avatar was a good example of the 3D working well. Everything had been thought out, it had been filmed in 3D and all plotted in 3D.

Just because the Studio executives have seen that, with the higher ticket prices of 3D film, they can make a lot more money there has been a bandwagon recently to make almost anything 3D.

It is possible to convert a film that was shot in 2D to 3D but it is not ideal and it does take a lot of work to make it OK. The people in charge of Clash of the Titans have said that they did not have enough time and the job was rushed. We all saw how bad the result was.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 had been filmed in 2D and the plan was to convert it. I am so pleased that the producers and Warners have agreed that it is not a good idea to rush the fake 3D’ing process. I am expecting a great film from them and if it is I am sure it will be worth it for some to go back and see it in 3D.

Here’s Warner’s press release…


Statement from Warner Bros. regarding Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theatres, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone‚s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate Harry Potter experience.

Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment”.

Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”

As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, in both 2D and 3D formats.