Filming has started on JK Rowling prequel to the Harry Potter movies, Fantastic Beasts and Where to find Them.
Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything, Jupiter Rising) stars as Newt Scamander, the wizarding world’s preeminent magi zoologist with Harry Potter director David Yates in charge. David helmed the last four Harry Potter feature films
The production started today, August 17, at Warner Bros Studios, Leavesden, the same studios that the Harry Potter films where made and therefore the same place as you may have visited if you went on the studio tour after production of the Harry Potter films completed.
With the Harry Potter films JK Rowling wrote the books and let others write the film’s screenplays. With this she has written the script itself.
The story was inspired by her character Newt Scamander’s Hogwarts textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in the Harry Potter stories. In this Eddie’s character stops in New York following his travels to find and document magical creatures.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them also stars:-
- Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice) as Tina
- Alison Sudol (Dig, Transparent) as Tina’s sister, Queenie
- Tony Award winner Dan Fogler (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee) as Jacob
- Ezra Miller (Trainwreck) as Credence
- Two-time Oscar nominee Samantha Morton (In America, Sweet and Lowdown) as Mary Lou
- Jenn Murray (Brooklyn) as Chastity
- Young newcomer Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty
- and Colin Farrell (True Detective) as Graves
The film is being produced by:-
- David Heyman, producer of all eight of the blockbuster Harry Potter features (whom we know well from our many set-visits over the eight films)
- JK Rowling
- Steve Kloves
- Lionel Wigram
Collaborating with Director David Yates behind the scenes are:-
- Oscar-winning director of photography Philippe Rousselot (A River Runs Through It, the Sherlock Holmes movies)
- Three-time Oscar-winning production designer Stuart Craig (The English Patient, Dangerous Liaisons, Gandhi, the Harry Potter films)
- Three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, Alice in Wonderland)
- Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Tim Burke (Gladiator, the Harry Potter films)
- Oscar-nominated visual effects supervisor Christian Manz (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1)
- David’s longtime editor Mark Day (the last four Harry Potter films)
Warner Bros Pictures is planning for worldwide release in 3D and IMAX on November 18, 2016.