The new All Creatures Great and Small is coming to the Masterpiece segment on PBS in January 2021. The rebooted show will star Nicholas Ralph as James Herriot, along with Samuel West, Callum Woodhouse, Anna Madeley and Rachel Shenton! Diana Rigg also has a featured role in the series, as you will note from the trailer.
Channel 5 will be airing the show in the UK. It airs on Tuesday September 1st, 2020, and will run for 6 episodes weekly.
All Creatures Great and Small – Trailer
James Herriot’s adventures as a veterinarian in 1930s Yorkshire get a glorious new adaptation. It is a seven-part series based on his beloved books.
Who Stars in this All Creatures Great and Small?
- Newcomer Nicholas Ralph will make his television debut as the iconic vet. The character is renowned for his inspiring humor, compassion and love of life.
- Samuel West plays Siegfried Farnon, the wonderfully eccentric veterinary surgeon and proprietor of Skeldale House. He reluctantly hires the recently qualified Herriot into his rural practice.
- Mrs Hall, the resident housekeeper and matriarch of Skeldale House, is played by Anna Madeley.
- Siegfried’s errant and charismatic younger brother, Tristan, is played by Callum Woodhouse (The Durrells in Corfu).
- Rachel Shenton takes the role of Helen Alderson, an independent local farmer’s daughter who helps her father manage the family farm and care for her younger sister.
- Dame Diana Rigg (Victoria, Game of Thrones) plays Mrs Pumphrey, the delightfully eccentric owner of the overly indulged Pekingese Tricki Woo.
- Finally, we have Matthew Lewis (Harry Potter, Ripper Street) who plays Hugh Hulton, a wealthy landowner and rival to James for Helen’s affections.
The producer is Richard Burrell. The lead writer is Ben Vanstone who is know for The English Game and The Last Kingdom. Lead director is Brian Percival (know for Downton Abbey & The Book Thief). Plus we have Metin Hüseyin (Outlander, Merlin) and Andy Hay (Jamestown, The Last Kingdom) also directing episodes.
This All Creatures Great and Small is a Playground production for Masterpiece and Channel 5. Also involved in the production are All3Media and Screen Yorkshire.
Original All Creatures Great and Small
The 1970s adaptation, which aired on public broadcasting (and the BBC in the UK), was a favorite of millions of viewers. That had Christopher Timothy in the lead role and Robert Hardy as Siegfried. Tristan was played by Peter Davison, who now is also know for his Doctor Who role.
The original series ran from 1978-80 and 1988-90. There were a total of 90 episodes.